A Lowland distillery at its namesake town near Edinburgh in East Lothian.
Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Also spelled Fisher Row, this was a distillery in Fisherrow, a locality east of Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth lying between Joppa and Musselburgh, that lasted 11 years from 1826 to 1837 under three operators, with one four-year dormant period.
Although Fisherrow today almost rates as a suburb of Edinburgh, two centuries ago it was mainly a fishing village west of the River Esk that separates it from Musselburgh. The distillery’s location is unclear: it may have sat close to the Esk, or more in the village centre, possibly on a burn that has long since disappeared or been totally culverted. One street is called Ladywell, which may have been a water source in bygone times. As with all such early distilleries, detailed information on the distillery and its stills is unavailable.
Fisherrow distillery was opened and operated by John Dodds from 1826 to 1827, when he was sequestrated. W & J Aitchison then distilled from 1828 to 1833, when the partnership was dissolved. William Aitchison briefly resumed distilling as a sole trader in 1837, but seems to have closed that same year.
- 1826 Fisherrow distillery is founded by John Dodds
- 1827 John Dodds is sequestrated, and the distillery closed
- 1828 Fisherrow is re-opened by W & J Aitchison
- 1833 The Aitchison partnership is dissolved, and the distillery closed again
- 1837 William Aitchison resumes distilling but closes Fisherrow for the last time that same year
A distillery at Dunbar, East Lothian, that distilled from 1798 until the mid-1830s.
A long-lost farm distillery, once sited between Musselburgh and Tranent.
Edinburgh-based independent bottler and producer of the whisky cask-rested Firkin Gin.