A defunct distillery on the Black Isle, near Poyntzfield.
Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Seafield is an entire estate south of Portmahomack, a village on a peninsula in Ross & Cromarty that protrudes into the Moray Firth just east of the Dornoch Firth.
The estate consists of Seafield House, plus three farms: Lower Seafield, Easter Seafield and just plain Seafield. Only the latter has a burn or watercourse close by, but that is not total proof the distillery was there. It could have been located anywhere on the estate and the distillery buildings may have vanished decades ago.
Seafield distillery was first licensed to Alexander Muir in 1825 and then to James Rose in 1828 who closed the operation in 1830.
Today, the northernmost section of Seafield’s peninsula home is off-limits as military jets use the area for bombing practice.
- 1825 A distillery on Seafield estate is licensed to Alexander Muir
- 1826 Seafield distillery is silent
- 1828 New licensee James Rose re-opens the distillery
- 1830 Rose is sequestrated and distilling at Seafield ceases
Ross and Cromarty
A briefly operational early distillery in the Ferintosh area of Easter Ross.
An 18th century Black Isle distillery, also known as Dunvornie or Dunvournie.
A here-and-gone distillery at Culbokie in the Ferintosh area of the Black Isle, Easter Ross.