One of Scotland’s oldest and most respected independent bottlers, and a distiller since 1998.
The Benromach Distillery Co Profile
While a historical name, The Benromach Distillery Company is a modern business created by the Forres-based, Victorian distillery’s current owner to manage its whisky production.
The company is owned by Speymalt Whisky Distributors, the company behind Elgin-based independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail.
The Benromach Distillery Co History
The original Benromach Distillery Company was founded in 1898 by Duncan McCallum of Campbeltown’s Glen Nevis distillery and F. W. Brickman, a spirit dealer in Leith. The duo came together to build Benromach distillery on land rented from whisky legend Alexander Edward, and although it was two years before their distillery began making spirit, it closed almost at once.
The distillery passed through a number of hands, including Macdonald Greenlees, Joseph Hobbs, National Distillers of America and DCL, before it was bought in 1993 as a silent, gutted shell by Speymalt Whisky Distributors.
Benromach’s new owner took five years to refit the distillery and reopen it, and finally incorporated the Benromach Distillery Company – the name of the site’s original owner – in 2012.