Dundee’s only known legal distillery survived for only a decade in the early 19th century.
Stewart & Son of Dundee Profile
Although now a non-trading company in the ownership of Pernod Ricard, Stewart’s is best known for its Cream of the Barley blended Scotch brand.
Stewart & Son of Dundee History
During the 18th and early 19th centuries the east coast city of Dundee was almost as well known for its whisky blending activities as Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth. One of the highest profile Dundee blenders was Stewart & Son, established in 1831 by Alexander Stewart, initially trading from the Glengarry Inn on the city’s Castle Street.
The business was incorporated as a limited company in 1924 and became part of the Allied Breweries group in 1969. Stewart’s operated a bottling hall on Dundee’s Kingsway East until the 1990s, and since 2005 the company and the Cream of the Barley blend has been in the ownership of Pernod Ricard subsidiary Chivas Brothers Ltd.
Distilleries & Brands
Stewart & Son of Dundee Limited