Operator of Glendronach Distillery near Huntly, which is itself owned by BenRiach Distillery Co.
Huntly Royal Profile
Blended Scotch Whisky
Huntly Royal’s relatively light body may have been why it was popular in Italy for a while, but there are no records regarding its make-up other than that single malt from Glendronach distillery would have been at its core.
Huntly Royal History
Huntly Royal was a popular blend, particularly in Aberdeenshire, from the late 1920s. It was produced by the Glendronach Distillery Co Ltd., which was run by Captain William Grant, and remained in production until its owner was bought out by William Teacher & Sons Ltd of Glasgow in 1960.
In the 1950s it was available as an 8-year-old with the advertising tagline ‘World’s Lightest Scotch,’ and was exported as a 5-year-old ‘pure malt reserve’ to Italy by Fraser McDonald Distillery Co Ltd. It would appear that the Glendronach being distilled back then bore little resemblance to today’s Sherried bottlings.
Nowadays the brand rests with the Benriach Distillery Co Ltd which acquired Glendronach distillery from Pernod Ricard in 2008.
- 1826 Glendronach distillery is founded in Forgue, near Huntly
- 1920 Captain William Grant purchases the distillery from the government, which had closed the site during the Great War
- 1927 Glendronach Distillery Co Ltd is incorporated
- 1940s-50s The Huntly Royal brand is sold in north-east Scotland and exported to Europe
- 1960 The brand is discontinued after William Teacher & Sons Ltd buys Glendronach Distillery Ltd
- 2008 Benriach Distillery Co Ltd buys Glendronach distillery from Pernod Ricard and acquires the Huntly Royal brand rights