One of Diageo’s ‘nutty-spicy’ sites.
Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
The distillery’s main production quirk comes in the form of a purifier pipe running from the lyne arm into the body of the spirit stills.
Like Glenlossie and Glen Spey, this adds a lightly oily character to the new make, here picked up almost as olive oil which mixes well with the lightly fruity/grassy notes.
Thanks to the River Isla, Keith has a long history of milling, both for meal and weaving (the town still has a kilt museum). Two of those old mill sites have since been converted to distilleries, Glen Keith and Strathmill.
Built in 1892, it was originally called Glenisla (with -Glenlivet suffixed). Its original owners sold it in 1895 to W&A Gilbey which was by then building its holdings in Scotch [see Glen Spey, Knockando]. As Gilbey moved through various incarnations so Strathmill became an integral part of the J&B family.
Its only official release is as part of the Flora & Fauna range.
- 1892 The distillery is founded as Glenisla-Glenlivet and begins its first production run
- 1895 English gin company, W&A Gilbey, purchases the distillery for £9,500 and renames it Strathmill
- 1962 W&A Gilbey merges with United Wine Traders to form International Distillers and Vintners (IDV)
- 1968 Strathmill's stills are doubled to four and purifiers are installed
- 1972 Watney Mann purchases IDV, which itself is acquired by Grand Metropolitan in the same year
- 1993 The first single malt bottling of Strathmill since 1909 appears as an Oddbins release
- 1997 Grand Metropolitan merges with Guinness to form Diageo
- 2001 The first official bottling of Strathmill appears in the Flora & Fauna series as a 12-year-old
- 2014 A 25-year-old is released as part of Diageo's Special Releases
- Condenser Type i
- Shell and tube
- Fermentation Time i
- Minimum 60hrs
- Filling Strength i
- Grist Weight (t) i
- Heat Source i
- Malt Specification i
- Non peated
- Malt Supplier i
- Mainly in house
- Mash Tun Type i
- New-make Phenol Level i
- Non peaty
- New-make Strength i
- Spirit Still Charge (l) i
- Spirit Still Shape i
- Stills i
- Wash Still Charge (l) i
- Wash Still Shape i
- Washback Type i
- Washbacks i
- Water Source i
- Spring within distillery
- Wort Clarity i
- Yeast Type i
- +44 1542 883000
- Visitor Opening Hours
- Not open to the public